Projects Enabled by the Elizabeth College Foundation

Click on a project to see more detail

Maths Faculty Extension

Originally built as a dormitory block in 1959 and subsequently converted into teaching space, the new Mathematics Building has been extended at the first floor level to square off the block at the back and provide a more usable space.

It has been completely reconfigured to create six purpose-built classrooms, each one fitted with a state-of-the-art interactive whiteboard, projector and motion-sensor lighting, plus associated office and storage space.

These dedicated classrooms will help to accommodate the College’s increasing pupil numbers and allow the most effective delivery of Mathematics which is becoming an ever more popular subject choice at AS and A level.

Sixth Form Centre

Sixth Form Centre

The fully refurbished Sixth Form Centre was completed in January 2008.  It includes a student kitchen, several study areas, common room, pool room and a large computer and study area the AJ Perrot room.

FG Manchester Refectory

The FG Manchester Refectory has been created in a new storey on top of what used to be the Geography block, or the old gym as many people know it further back in College's history.

The Refectory was opened in the 450th Anniversary year (2013) and provides a hot meal service to all Upper School pupils at lunchtime and break.

Performing Arts Suite

The ground and first floors of the Colborne Building house the Music department and the new multi-functional Performing Arts Studio. This flexible space comprises a drama studio and music rehearsal classroom which can be combined to a produce a sizeable performance area with roll-out tiered seating. Ideally located for College and public events with the refectory facilities above, this new facility provides much needed rehearsal space, an environment for smaller or informal performances and takes considerable pressure off the College Hall. 

Hard Court

The highly utlised 'Tennis Court' hard court area has been fully refurbished to provide a  greatly enhanced facility. As well as serving as a football pitch at break and lunchtime, this invaluable area in the centre of the College campus is used by the CCF, during PE and games lessons and as an additional car park for College meetings and events.

The recreational area has been completely excavated and a new surface laid. This will shortly be given a finishing coat of paint with markings applied in order to create a 6-a-side football pitch.  New strong green plastic coated fencing has been installed to improve both the functionality and aesthetics of the area. This includes the installation of a low kick panel suitable for either football or hockey and the creation of a recessed goal at each end.

In addition the patio behind the recreational area has been extended to provide a much larger area for pupils to sit and enjoy their break or lunch during the better
weather.

The old tennis court was originally created by pupils on top of an old WWII air-raid shelter, see the extract from the 1953 Elizabethan below. Fortunately old maps of the layout of this shelter were available to inform the excavations. A corner of the old German concrete shelter has been deliberately left exposed to highlight the interesting history of this area.

Robin Roussel Pavilion

The Robin Roussel Pavilion at the Memorial Field in Footes Lane replaced a very tired building dating from the 1960s. The Pavilion is named in honour of the late Robin Roussel (4475), a great sportsman who was both a former pupil and a master at College from 1957 to 1989; he inspired many generations of Old Elizabethans  to develop a love of sports.
The Robin Roussel Pavilion is modern, practical, flexible and functional. In addition to four changing rooms, it provides covered viewing areas over both the hockey and cricket pitches and a refectory with catering facilities.
The Pavilion is in daily use by College pupils from the Upper and Junior Schools as well as by the many other local organisations such as the Guernsey Cricket Board.

ECJS Beechwood All Weather Pitch

The all-weather pitch at Beechwood was installed in September 2007 and has been a huge asset to the school.  The all-weather surface means that games’ periods can take place outside all year round on a practical and mud-free surface. Pupils also benefit from being able to play outside on the all-weather pitch during break and lunchtime, especially over the winter and on days when the surrounding fields are suffering from too much rain.
The pitch is used by all Elizabeth College Junior School pupils, both from Beechwood and Acorn House.

Acorn House Library & Music Room

The construction of this extension to Acorn House, to provide a new flexible Music room and Library, marked the first phase of ongoing improvements at Acorn House, to accommodate a steady increase in pre-school and pre-prep pupils and ensure that the school can provide the optimum facilities for pupils' learning and development.

This lovely bright and spacious classroom now complements a similar classroom opposite which was built thanks to the success of the 450th Anniversary Appeal and together they accommodate the youngest Elizabeth College Junior School pupils at Acorn House.

Acorn House Reception Classroom

The construction of this extension to Acorn House in summer 2013 compliments the first classroom built as part of the 2007 Appeal.
This has allowed the creation of a delightful and purpose built Early Years suite.  The two Reception classrooms have been designed to support the Early Years Curriculum which encompasses both indoor and outdoor learning and open out onto the well-equipped playground area which is shared with the Acorn House Pre-school.
This additional curriculum space has significantly improved the educational provision for all pupils of Elizabeth College Junior School pupils at Acorn House.